Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cupcakes....

This post is dedicated to one of my greatest loves... not Kyle, not Roxy, not fashion, no no no, it's to CUPCAKES!!! I have always loved all things sweets, but recently that love has become more fine tuned in the cupcake category! After walking into all these bakeries here, I realized one of my dreams would be to open my own cupcake shop someday! It just makes since, I love them so much, and how fun would that be, seriously?!Who knows when this will happen or where, but I will do it one day... And what better place to search for the best cupcake than New York City?!?! This is definitely a passion of mine that Kyle has been more than willing to jump on board with! We've made the rounds to several of the famous cupcake shops throughout the city, and here's some of our thoughts about them...

First, we have Crumbs Bake Shop, probably the most famous of all the NYC bake shops. They have several locations across the city. Rosa and I stopped in one when she came out to visit a couple weeks ago. I just love this shop! They were voted best cupcake shop in all NYC, a pretty huge feat, considering how many different bakeries are here. So needless to say, they know what they're doing! They are massive, super sweet, and most come filled with some form of either frosting or fluff, making them even sweeter. Sometimes a bit too sweet for my liking, however, I doubt I would ever turn down the chance to eat one!





Second, we have Babycakes NYC! I dragged Kyle here Tuesday when we were off work, and we both agreed it was well worth the long subway ride and the trek through the snow! This shop was by far my FAVORITE! They specialize in cupcakes and treats made for people with food allergies, or people who just enjoy living (and eating) a healthy lifestyle. Their treats are all vegan, mostly gluten-free, and mostly sugar-free. The only sugar they do use is from agave syrup, a more natural form of sugar than your typical refined white sugar. Most people know, Kyle and I love eating this way when possible, so we were both loving this cute little bake shop that had such tasty treats you didn't have to feel guilty about eating. We started out sharing a tea and a carrot cupcake and pumpkin cupcake. Even though their icing is dairy free, it still tasted so much like cream cheese frosting! We loved them so much we had to go back for seconds! We got a chocolate cupcake with choco icing, and a red velvet cupcake with 'cream cheese' frosting and shared a natural rhubarb soda the second time around. The red velvet was awesome, however I was a bit disappointed with the chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing, the cake was just a little dry. Regardless, we loved this little shop, I fell in love with their tasty little treats!







Third on the list, we have Billy's Bakery. After I left work today, I decided to walk over to Kyle's restaurant to say hi since I won't see him tonight. On my way, I noticed an adorably little bakery that had that very unique, local look. After I left the restaurant, I could've sworn I heard Billy's calling out my name... SO... I had to stop by and see what this place was all about! This is necessary research for my cupcake shop I'll open someday, right? I decided to try the carrot cupcake with cream cheese frosting. It was very tasty, but again, just too sweet for my taste. I didn't want to leave in a sugar coma so I ended up scraping off all the icing, and ate just a tiny bit with each bite. It was much more enjoyable that way. I just don't like the super sweet icings (which is another reason I enjoyed Babycakes so much, it was just the right level of sweetness! Every cupcake from here on out will be compared to those lovely little babycakes!) Billy's had a wonderful, homey atmosphere that made you feel like you were a little kid sitting on your screened in back porch eating treats your Mom just pulled out of the oven for you... and I loved that about this place...

4 comments:

  1. I did not know you were such a cupcake fan, too. I LOVE cupcakes! How about you move back to KC and we'll open a shop together?! :) Have you been to Babycakes in KC? It's in the River Market. So good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE cupcakes! I actually wish we would have done a cupcake "cake" for our wedding! I am all for ya'll starting a business! I will help by eating them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can be my official taste tester... although, I think I already have a whole long list of people willing to have that job! The more, the merrier, right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah,

    Thank you so much about posting a review about the bakery! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visits so much. Thanks for making the trip down, despite the snowy weather. Glad you both enjoyed your desserts.

    Love,
    BabyCakes NYC

    ReplyDelete